Saturday, March 6, 2010

Why I'm in Bakersfield

The way I feel after Labor Day makes me sorry for some of the summer people going home to boring jobs and to lives they feel trapped in. Or that they trapped themselves in because at some point they gave in to fear and did what they knew they could do – play it safe – instead of taking a chance on doing what they truly wanted to do. They call that "being realistic." Hockey scares me, but I'd rather be scared than bored.


-Page 10 of Saved by Jack Falla (which I am currently re-reading... I never re-read a book... but it's my favorite of all time)

My parents gave me the best advice when I was little - find what you love and do it. Sounds so simple and obvious, but how many people actually follow that advice?

I discovered a passion for broadcasting sports, so that's what I do.

For the Vipers that usually means providing color commentary at home and being in the studio on the road. Not this weekend. This weekend is my chance to shine. I'm filling-in on play-by-play. Hopefully some of you reading this already know that from listening to Friday's win. Props go out to Vipers VP of Administration Jennifer Stool for letting me know during the pre-game show that she was listening. I know there are people listening at all times. It's the nature of radio. But there's a special feeling when someone you know is listening.

This is my GATORADE Call-Up. This is my 10-day contract. This is my chance to show what I can do. Minor league sports are really the same for everyone. Most people think in terms of players, but almost everyone working in minor league sports is looking to move up in the world. I'm no exception.

Friday was a lot of fun. There's a powerful and just happy feeling about putting on a headset. I think I did a pretty solid job. I plan to keep that up on Saturday.

For the record, the Vipers are now 3-0 when I do play-by-play for the entire game. However, Saturday is the first time I will ever done play-by-play for a Vipers game after a win (I personally ended two six-game losing streaks last season... yeah... I phrased it that way. As I always say, if I can control what's going on on the court, I'm not getting paid enough. So, uh, can I have a raise? =) haha. Just kidding! But no, seriously...).

All joking aside, I am here to follow my dreams. 703 career broadcasts now in the books, but still a ton of work left to do.

So join the celebration and wish upon a star and stop to remember the magic! There's always a dream coming true. Remember the magic!


No comments:

Post a Comment