Friday, September 24, 2010

Houston, We Have Lift Off

Houston Rockets Media Day marks the unofficial start of training camp (the first practice is tomorrow). (Almost) all of the Rockets are there in uniform and available for pretty much anything you need. Brad Miller was not in uniform (sprained ankle), although he was in street clothes with a Cubs hat on. Antonio Anderson didn't yet have a jersey, so he was wearing a t-shirt (he did have shorts).

The Rockets were wearing their new uniforms. I'd heard negative speculator reviews (you know, before anyone had actually seen them). You know what? They were nice. The light really illuminated the red against the white. There were some breathing holes in them. I was impressed.

My favorite thing is that they look just like those replica jerseys you can already buy at the Vipers Pro-Shop. Now they're instead inexpensive authentic jerseys (in effect, anyway).

Aaron Brooks was funny. He was walking around with a walkie talkie (used by the Rockets media relations staff to coordinate things) requesting Gummy Bears and keeping everyone up to date on his movements. At one point, Shane Battier was recording a promo for us when Brooks walked in. He laid down on the couch and Battier deadpanned:

"Aaron Brooks IS the Rio Grande Vipers."

He and some others laughed. Then I chimed in:

"Hey! It's Rio Grande VALLEY Vipers!"

Battier cracked up.

Coach Finch is in Houston, he came down to chat, so we had him do some recordings too. I had him reading a script with Antonio Anderson's name in it. And he read it. "Hi, this is Antonio Anderson of the Houston Rockets." Oops. That produced some laughs.

We had them record some promos for the new 840 Fox Sports Radio. No one pronounced Eighty-Forty correctly (all said either Eighty-Four or Eight-Four). Kyle Lowry felt bad about it, but I assured him he wasn't the only one.

Most of the players came and did their thing. Some of them introduced themselves (usually the younger guys like Jordan Egelseder and Patrick Patterson). The one that really caught me off guard was Chuck Hayes. The man was the starting center last year. Of course we know who he is. Yao doesn't introduce himself. Why would he? We know who he is. Hayes went to everyone and said, "Hi, I'm Chuck."

It was great to see Mike Harris. He came to me to say hello. A classic nice guy. He likes the Valley and is really excited to come down for RGV Rocket Launch 2010.

He and Coach Finch chatted for a little bit. Mike asked when open tryouts are and said he might like to go to watch (although I'm not sure that he can based on timing). He then said something very interesting, and in my mind, telling. "Save a spot for me." At first I thought he was making a joke about the tryout. Given time to think about it, I was wonder if he was saying something more. I hope we don't find out. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Harris back for another season, but he's earned the chance to play in the NBA, so I am pulling for him to make the team. I like to see good people succeed and reach their goals.

2 comments:

  1. Antonio could have barrowed the rockets jersey he played in down here. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that too, but he wore #4 down here. That's Luis Scola's number. Antonio's wearing #3 for the Rockets.

    ReplyDelete