Friday, May 21, 2010

Post #99 – People are Taking Notice

And I don't just mean of this blog (although, they/you are, and I really appreciate your readership... that's an incredible number on the counter at the bottom of the page).

Actually, I was referring to the corndogs the local minor league baseball teams. Anyone else see the Fox 2 Cable 6 DTV 48.3 News at 9 last night? The sports segment (again anchored by the incomparable ADB) had a sound byte so great, that years from now when they're thinking of man's greatest accomplishments, they'll remember:

The invention of the wheel
The discovery of fire
The Flint Michigan Mega Bowl
and this sound byte.
(Note: In case you couldn't tell after this latest reference, the corndogs was a reference to the movie Semi Pro, and not a veiled slap at the teams... I would never do that, especially since I work for one of them).

It's at the :50 mark:
"We want to end up doing what the Vipers did this year."
-Edinburg Roadrunners manager Vince Moore

The buzz surrounding the Vipers' championship is still quite palpable. Last night at a meet the team party for the Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings in Harlingen, everyone came over to me and congratulated me on the Championship (I'm entering my fourth season as the play-by-play broadcaster and Director of Communications for the team). When we were introducing the front office staff to our fans, General Manager Cory Dirksen made sure to tell everyone that I also work for the Vipers and that he hopes I can bring some of the Vipers magic to the WhiteWings.

I often wear the NBADL Champions hat and t-shirt around the Valley, and it always causes people to look. Some people even start talking to me, having no idea that I work for the team, but understanding that I support the Vipers, about how incredible The Shot Heard 'Round the Valley was and the atmosphere of the Championship game and how awesome Mike Harris is... etc.

There is a buzz in the air unlike anything I have ever experienced. Everywhere I go I see Vipers stickers on cars. I still stop and stare at the trophy every time I walk into the Vipers Pro Shop.

One month ago today Craig Winder took the greatest charge in the history of Western Civilization... propelling the Vipers past Austin and into the Finals. Who knew that that wasn't even going to be his biggest contribution to the Vipers' Championship Run?

To quote ADB, "Oh how sweet it is!"

No comments:

Post a Comment