Sunday, June 13, 2010

Staying Put

The news came down on Thursday that the Vipers are staying at State Farm Arena through the 2012-13 season.

I enjoy watching the Vipers play at State Farm Arena. It has the look and feel of a true sports arena. After making a trip out to Bakersfield this year, which is a completely different setting (and business model, for that matter), I think I realized just how lucky we are to have a place like this we can play in and the fan/corporate support to make it work.

The Jam's original business model had them in Rabbobank Arena. A bit bigger than State Farm Arena, I called one game there (UTPA men's basketball @ Cal-State Bakersfield) back in February 2008. It was nice, but a bit cavernous. Even when the Jam drew big crowds, it didn't look great, which was a shame.

Their new business model of playing in front of crowds of 430 is working for them, and I am not here to say anything negative about it. It's unique, and if it works, it works. However, I love playing in front of a packed house of 6,198.

The emotions that ran through me during the Championship game were some of the most intense I've felt, not just because of the situation, but because of the atmosphere. 6,198 fans chanting M-V-P when Mike Harris touched the ball, or DE-FENSE when they weren't even prompted to do so... and of course the incredible noise of everyone screaming out in unison when Craig Winder banked in the Shot Heard 'Round the Valley...

Those are priceless memories, so I'm glad the Vipers are staying in the place where it all happened.

I look forward to the banner raising ceremony in November/December.

No comments:

Post a Comment