Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

I intended to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving yesterday, but it ended up being a busier day than anticipated. I started the day as a volunteer, along with other members of the front office and the entire Vipers basketball team, at the Salvation Army, serving meals to those in-need.

From there I went to the home of assistant coach Jai Steadman, where he and his girl friend hosted the entire team. After a great meal, I was invited to another friend's house, as I spent Thanksgiving evening with 956sports.com's Jacob Berry and his family.

It was a positively wonderful day on my first Thanksgiving away from home (I had always gone home to New York in the past). I know the players appreciated both the opportunity to help out in the community and to have a home to go to for Thanksgiving.

I have much to be thankful for... family and friends at the top of course. My profession is up there as well, though. For those of you who do not know, I am traveling with the Vipers this year. I will be providing the play-by-play for all games away from State Farm Arena this season.

It's an incredible opportunity and I can't thank everyone at the top enough, starting with Vipers President Bert Garcia, for having the confidence in me to allow this to happen. Hard work always pays off. Every single time.

It won't be my first time sliding over into the play-by-play role for the Vipers. I filled-in for two games each of the last two years. However, the consistent reps this year will give me a better opportunity to hone my craft in hopes of someday reaching the big leagues.

It's been a few years since I've had those consistent reps. I started broadcasting basketball during the 2005-06 season; my first of two years with Boston University women's basketball. During the 2007-08 season I was the play-by-play broadcaster for the University of Texas-Pan American, doing all men's games and as many women's games as I could.

These past two seasons I have been providing color commentary at home, and last season I was also the pre-game/halftime/post-game studio host when the team was on the road. That was all valuable on-air experience. Coupling that with my previous play-by-play experience, I am excited to see how much improvement I can make this year.

It's going to be fun!

Pre-game coverage on Saturday begins at 11:30 a.m. We'll have an interview with Terrel Harris during the Mega Energy halftime show. Talk to you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment