Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ever Been at a Loss for Words?

It's a proven fact that I can talk about any topic at any time for any length, no matter the situation. But when this game ended, I was nothing short of speechless.

You might remember back on February 22, I started my campaign for Craig Winder to be named NBA Development League Player of the Year (no such award actually exists). A lot of people called me crazy. They laughed at me.

Well... who's laughing now?

Craig certainly seems pretty happy after beating the buzzer to send the Vipers to their first NBADL Championship.

When the game ended, I had nothing left to say. What could I possibly say after something like that?

It was a perfect moment. That one every little kid dreams about growing up. Beat the buzzer to win a Championship.

In front of a record sellout crowd.

6,198.

Think about that for a moment. There were 6,300 people here for the Rockets-Celtics game! To think we almost passed that with Standing Room Only, despite having less seats is incredible.

You ever have a moment when you wondered if all of your efforts were worth it? Whether anyone cared or if it was all worth it? Someone told me recently (paraphrasing), "oh yeah, the Vipers are improving their fan base, but I still don't think the fans really know who the players are or what's going on." We've had some really good and loud crowds, but even a crowd of 4,700 leaves 1,000 empty seats in State Farm Arena.

Then we had this game. When everyone was standing and cheering and going crazy. When the fans started a DE-FENSE chant on their own. When the fans knew what was at stake and what to do. When the fans rushed the court. I couldn't speak. I could've cried I was so happy.

People do care and the support has been something I could have never imagined.

The other thing that floored me was how many people I had never met came up to me to congratulate me, shake my hand, high five, hug, whatever. People thanking me for my daily updates and text messages.

If ever there was a time I wasn't sure that what I did mattered or was worth it, this erased all of that.

Wow.

And that's really all I have left to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment