Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rockets Home Launch

First, the important news. We now know 9-of-17 Vipers Training Camp players. For a complete team-by-team list, click here.

Second, the Rockets. Up in Houston for the Rockets opener. It was a great game, although there were shades of the road opener in Los Angeles. Sizable lead early, struggles in the second half. There were some differences, though. Aaron Brooks struggled mightily. Kyle Lowry wasn't very sharp in his first action of the season. All things that we know will improve. Just have to be patient.

Luis Scola was awesome again. During the pre-season, I was thinking Dwight Howard for MVP. After a few games, I was thinking Rajon Rondo. Now I'm thinking Scola...

On the Nuggets side, Carmelo Anthony wasn't the star... it was Al Harrington. He had 28 points. A thought crossed my mind early in the game – 'Man, Harrington is the most underrated player in the NBA.' Then I thought about it a little more and realized that every shot Harrington hit was wide open. Not that that's his fault. Actually, it's quite the credit to the Denver offense that they were able to get him wide open so many times. If he wasn't wide open so much, does he still score 28 points? Do the Nuggets still win?

Overall, the game was fun. Clutch was incredible as always. The Red Rowdies were... well... rowdy. There were a lot of cool in-game promotions and the fans were into it. It was a close game until the end.

I sat in the fifth row of club seats behind the Rockets bench on the baseline. Just a few feet from me was Rockets GM Daryl Morey. He was sitting with his family and reacting to the game just like a fan would. When he walked up the stairs, I waved (he was one row behind me), he kinda acknowledged, then as he got closer he stopped, took another look, realized who I am, waved again and this time greeted me verbally. It's a pretty cool feeling.

After Brooks hit his first bucket, I screamed something along the lines of, "We miss you in the Rio Grande Valley! Come back!" Daryl took a look and smiled. A few fans around chuckled. But the one thing I realized over the weekend, a lot of fans in Houston know who the Vipers are. Now that's a pretty cool feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I saw you on Tv wearing a black vipers polo. where was liana and bert? Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. so I WAS on! You know, my good friend, Rich Bocchini, and I had a feeling we were on TV when the sideline reporter interviewed some fans behind us. Rich was actually wear the black shirt. I was wearing a white Vipers polo. Bert and Liana were sitting on the other side of the arena. Ironically, Rich and I were sitting in Bert's season seats while they sat elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete