Saturday, February 27, 2010

That team only has five wins???

The Springfield Armor stunned me tonight. I wasn't expecting much. Yeah, they've played some close games recently, but 5-25, losers of 10-straight? What was I supposed to expect.

Certainly if you'd told me they'd lose, which they did, I'd have believed you. But to force overtime first? Well, that was unexpected.

But more unexpected was the consistency. With the exception of an early third quarter run by the Vipers, the Armor matched the Vipers basket for basket. Springfield has a very strong inside game. They established it early, which made them open for three-pointers later. It was text book basketball. They committed too many turnovers and probably flapped their gums way too much, but there's some talent on this team.

Someone once told me there are only two things you can control in sports, your attitude and your effort. The effort was certainly there by Springfield. The attitude? Well, having only seen them once, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was just frustrations boiling over thanks to all the losing. However, if that's the case, then that means losing begets losing and I might be right about Springfield not winning another game this season.

However, if the Armor can learn to keep their emotions in check and just play one game at a time... They have a chance to be very dangerous. That team is good enough to win a bunch of games the rest of the way, no doubt about that in my mind. Remember, the team that lost most of those games isn't there anymore. The Armor have used 21 different players this year. Perhaps they finally have the right combination of players.

---

For the record, the Vipers didn't have trouble with Springfield tonight because they've lost so many players to the NBA recently. The Vipers had trouble with Springfield because the Armor are a much-improved team. Do not discredit Springfield like that.

If the Armor learn some discipline, I think they're easily as good as or better than anyone else in the East.

---

Will Conroy continues to dominate. You can almost smell his next GATORADE Call-Up coming. In my mind it's no longer a matter of if, just when and where. He's earned it and then some. Now here's a guy with the right attitude. Got sent down after his first 10-day, and rather than sulking, has three triple-doubles in four games. He's forcing someone to call him up.

---

Electric crowd tonight. It was incredible. If I'd told you that a Vipers-Armor game was going to have a playoff atmosphere, what would you have said to me?

Many thanks to everyone who cam, especially those DECA students. You could tell they were having a good time.

I got to speak to a group from McAllen Memorial and San Benito. All high school students. Juniors and seniors. I was supposed to speak for 15 minutes. I went 40 minutes. I had to teach them Jack Falla's rules of life, after all.

I really enjoyed it. I could tell these kids are committed to learning and being the best they can be. It's nice to be able to speak to people who not only listen, but want to listen.

They gave me a round of applause for reaching my 700th broadcast today... er... yesterday (since technically it's now Saturday). It was pretty cool and very much appreciated.

I take pride in this accomplishment. I didn't get to celebrate with my Martinelli's Gold Medal Sparkling Cider as planned. Didn't have time to pick any up. I'll have to do that tomorrow... er... today.

You know, for my 200th broadcast (play-by-play of Boston University women's ice hockey @ Boston College, November 2006) I brought a couple of bottles with me and rather than drinking water during the game, my partner and my on-site pre-game/intermission crew and I just drank the cider. Now that was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment