Monday, July 26, 2010

Changing of the Guard

For some reason I think I have used this title once or twice before, yet it seems extremely appropriate today.

Today was P-Day (Press Conference Day).

I wrote not that long ago that BMC putting out a statement announcing his resignation was a sad moment because it made it more real. Well, now that the press conference is in the books, and we enter the final week, it becomes even more real.

I want to start by saying Bert Garcia is going to do an excellent job as Team President. Of this I have no doubt. He knows how to deal with people in all situations. He's been with the Vipers since the beginning and has been Brian's right-hand man. He's both deserving and ready to do this. I am excited to continue to work both for and with Bert. If you need something done, he'll get it done. Always does.

However, that doesn't make it any easier to lose Brian. I was okay when I introduced Vipers CEO Rene Borrego to start the Press Conference, but as he told stories about Brian, and at times sounded as if he might cry, it was tough to fight it back (although I did). It's not just about what Brian has meant to this organization. I think I've covered that pretty thoroughly. It's about what he's meant to people individually.

Brian appreciates everything you do and he makes sure you know it too. Sometimes it's as simple as "thank you" or "good job." Other times it's a couple of slices of pizza. There was one morning I stumbled into the office late. It was maybe 10 a.m. We'd had a game the previous night (and maybe the night before that too) and something cause me to not get to bed until something like 3 or 4 a.m. I don't remember what. I might have had issues uploading the post game video blog or maybe something with the website... Honestly, I have no idea what happened, but I just remember being incredibly tired. I went straight to Brian's office to apologize for being late. His response wasn't to go off on me for being late, but rather to see if I was okay. That was before I had an office key, and I was often there before anyone else, standing outside, waiting for someone to come and open up (I was early, others were not late). Then he said, let's get lunch. I was tired enough that I actually looked at my watch, saw it was 10 a.m., and said, "well, it's a little early, but okay." Needless to say he meant a little later on, but you get the idea. Yeah, Brian got tough and came down on people when it was necessary, but he was good at reading situations and what kind of response was necessary.

Brian also talks like no one I know. I mean, the conversations go on for a long time. It's not necessarily because he's long-winded, but it's because we talk out decisions. It's not always, do this, do that. I always appreciated being a part of that and having the chance to learn why things are done, rather than simply how to do them.

I can't tell you how many nights I stayed late during the season, sitting in Brian's office learning about the business side, which was certainly an area that needed improvement when I first joined the team. I got a great education from him. So of course, when I made my first major corporate sale, he was the first person I called. He was screaming on the other side of the phone. Pure elation.

Brian wasn't always the easiest person to work for. He wanted what he wanted and he wanted it done yesterday. But you know what, that taught me how to deliver the impossible in a timely manner. If anyone ever told Brian something couldn't be done, he asked "why not?" And then said, "well, find  a way."

There is no doubt that he deserves lots of credit for my growth as both a professional and a human being over the last year and a half. And I thank him for that. He gave me an opportunity when I was down. I only hope I've justified his faith in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment