Sunday, July 18, 2010

Short Summer

The one thing that has always boggled my mind is how short NBA Summer League is and how there's more than one league. I've always thought they should consolidate it all into one league where every team plays every other team once. Sure, Summer League might last a month, but is that a bad thing? More opportunities for evaluation and development, right? How much can really be done in five games? 

Especially when so many teams carry 700 players, how can everyone really be evaluated in such short minutes?

Simple answer – they can't. Some guys don't get to play much. Mickell Gladness only got to play in two games with the Heat this summer (although Kenny Hasbrouck got to start all five games).

I think the D-League Select Team does it best. Through four games, each player has started twice. They're doing their best to make sure everyone gets an equal shot to play and impress scouts. Of course, it's easier for them since it's a 10-man roster.

Speaking of the D-League Select Team, do you think Nick Nurse (head coach, also Iowa's head coach) is chomping at the bit for the summer to end so he can leave for Great Britain? He's a part of Coach Finch's staff and their first Test Game is Wednesday vs. Canada. Finch arrived on the 15th after helping out the Rockets with Summer League. Coach Mokeski is already there.

With all the attention on Great Britain's men's team, it's important not to forget their women's team is also getting ready for EuroBasket2011 Qualifiers with Boston University's own Rachael Vanderwal.

Vanderwal, or Superwoman, as I started calling her during the America East Conference portion of the schedule in 2006, is a big asset to Great Britain Basketball. Here's a woman who was thrown into a door after a hard foul, laid on the ground in a puddle of blood from her head, got stitches in her head and ear, and then was back on the court for the very next game after not practicing. She led the Terriers past Albany that night. Great point guard. She can dish it out and she can take it (driving and slashing to the basket as well as three-pointers).

I was the voice of BU women's basketball for Vanderwal's senior season (2005-06). The Terrier were my first team. I had done a little play-by-play before, but this was my first experience as a flagship voice. I got to do it for two seasons before graduating. An experience I'll never forget. I still follow BU, and now I'll follow Great Britain's women's team as well.

I'd be lying if I said I don't feel weird rooting for a team that's not the United State or Israel, but for Finch, Mokeski and Vanderwal? I can make an exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment